Thursday, August 17, 2017

Just The Messenger...no, really.

I have the privilege of volunteering at one of our local charities. I've been there abooouuttt....10 years.  I go in on Friday's for half a day.  When I went back to work a few years ago, I would just do summers.  It fills that 'administrative void' that I have / love.  

This particular organization does everything except provide shelter.  We offer financial assistance, household items (to include furniture), dental, medical, clothing...the entire gambit, free of charge.  

I'm not gonna lie, it's tough sometimes to get a call, "Hey...so...I'm about to be evicted.  Can y'all help with my rent?" Sigh...really?  Eviction is a lengthy process.  Not my business though. 

We all have our hurdles.  It is not my place to judge or draw conclusions.  

That. Said.  On a lighter note, might I offer some...'tips' when calling a business.  I've worked for two for which I've answered phones.  If I'm answering the phone, I have a fairly good idea why you're calling.  For example, at the cooking school.  We did Groupon.  I did not need you to explain to me that "you bought a Groupon for a 90-minute cooking class...etc."  Yes.  I know.
(Oh...and READ the fine print.  It'll save you a headache or two).  

SO...here are my...suggestions?  Tips?  Two bits on calling ANY organization.

1) Always assume the person that answers the phone is just that.  The one that answers the phone.  Period.  

2) This person PROBABLY cannot help you.  Chances are they will need to get you to someone that CAN help you.

3)  Assuming they can't help you, do not launch into your entire reason you're calling.  For example, I do not need to know you would like to be tested for an STD.  Simply ask for the medical clinic's number.  Thank you.  Good Talk.

4) If your name is involved, PLEASE do not assume I know how to spell it.  For example, if you have a very foreign name that does not consist of any vowels, do not assume, that by just saying it, that I know how to spell it.  Chances are you also have a thick accent, adding another layer to the entire exchange.  Please don't allow awkward silence when I sit, presuming you'll spell it.  Don't 'make' me ask you. ALSO, if your mother jacked up the spelling of your name.  For example, your named Jennifer, but your mom thought it'd be clever to spell it Jennyfer...please mention that tidbit o' information.  
  
5) Stop Talking.  Seriously.  When you call somewhere, think of the most concise way to ask your question.  Please do not launch into your five minute tirade / story, only to learn that 'I'm just a volunteer.'  (Oh...and even when you say the same thing, three different ways...really, I caught it the first time.)

6) This next example is a little more specific to the organization.
We schedule pick ups for household items.  We recommend a three day window. SSsooo...when you say, "I need my big o' couch picked up TOMORROW."  And I reply, "Our next available is next Thursday." When you come back with, "You don't have anything sooner...?"  Sigh..."Uhm...no."  

7) FURTHERMORE...insisting that it is, "Really. Nice. Stuff."  Guess what?  I cannot produce an extra truck or extra volunteers for your 'really nice stuff' any sooner than Thursday. Sigh...

8) Regarding your pick up.  If you've scheduled it, please don't call and ask if, "You're still on the schedule"  Seriously.  We do not have a dart board in the back and arbitrarily pull people from the day you are scheduled.  (Verifying time is different).

9) Regarding time.  We have a WINDOW, just like the cable guy.
7a - 12n / 
12n - 5p.  If it is 11:45, and they're not there yet...call me back at 12:30. At that time, THEN they're late.

10) Finally, as frustrated as you may be with the process, please don't take it out on the person on the other end of the line.  We / they (usually) are 'just the messenger' - if you will.  

Ok...so maybe this was more of a 'rant' / venting session.

Please understand, I really do love volunteering each Friday at this place.  It allows me pause each week to contribute, appreciate and keep my reality in check.  We are one decision away from a very different path.  Every person that calls in...they made a decision - good, bad, indifferent.  And sometimes, someone made it for them.

As I said, it is not my place to judge or draw conclusions. Someone could easily do the same with me.  Just because I happen to stumble upon this particular chapter of their life, does not mean I have one iota of understanding of their story.

I hope you laughed a little.

This one is certainly not all that deep or insightful.

The Texas Ginger
Bringing World Peace One Hug at a Time



No comments:

Post a Comment