Thursday, August 10, 2017

Joy...meh

Joy.

Apparently, I used to hate that word. 

We moved my mom recently.  In the process of that move, assessing all of the stuff being packed up, I kept asking the question, "Mom, does this bring you joy?" and I would hold up various items.  

As we were sitting in her new place, my brother points out, "You used to hate that word."  Followed by several mock-ing examples, "Joy...joy...ew"

I thought about this...why did this word used to bother me?  

I couldn't answer that.

Maybe it was how it sounded...jjjooooyyyy...ick (think nasal-y, drawn out)

Now...I may seem like I am jumping around, but bear with me.  I'll bring tie it all together.

Some of you may know that I embarked on a journey around Christmas 2016.

However, I didn't KNOW I was embarking on a journey.

A friend posted on Facebook, 'Just watched a great documentary called Minimalism.  It's a MUST SEE!!!'

I was curious, so I watched it.

Then I watched it with my boyfriend.

Then watched it again with all the girls.

It completely spoke to me.  I would completely recommend watching it.  I'll even come over and watch it WITH you...LOL. And in order to save re-writing their entire message, just...watch it.

HOWEVER, I will try and summarize the impact it has had on me. And to honest, continues to impact me.

I'll begin by saying I am absolutely a work in progress on 'minimizing' process. So, I do not come to you as an expert on any level. 

I do come to the table to share a movement that is...refreshing.

While they speak primarily of living with intent; purchasing with thoughtfulness (does this bring value?  joy?  purpose?) rather than just buying to buy ("It was ONLY $5!!!"), Josh Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus (The Minimalists) have spoken into my life
So.
Much.
More.

They have promoted (and perhaps not knowingly), NOT 'tolerance' (I can't stress that enough!  no...no...no!!) Instead, they exude a level of respect and appreciation for others that come to the table at different stages in not only the minimizing process, but in life.

They come to the table with respect and appreciation for those with different beliefs (gasp!).  They are an example of what it would look like if we each
just ...observed.  

When I say 'observed', I think of picking up, say, a beautiful piece of blown glass, with all sorts of colors, aspects, flaws and a fragile state.

Maybe how the light shines through.  

The weight of it.  

The artist that created it.  I simply...look.  

Think.  Admire.  I don't have to buy it.  

I can put it back, maybe taking away a little memory of it's beauty.  

I don't hate it or reject it.  

I simply don't 'need' it or will 'use' it.

Yet...with people, they bump up against us.
 

Instead, we react.  
They don't believe like we do.  
We have an opinion about how they dress or look.
The light doesn't shine through quite as brightly, for whatever reason.

They voted for someone else.  (WHAT?!)

WHAT IF...
- we saw how their light shone through
- the weight of who they are as a person (good / bad / indifferent)
- the artist (God) that created them
- think.  admire.  i don't have to 'buy in' to their beliefs
- I can 'return' them to the shelf, with a memory of that person
- I don't hate or reject them
- I simply choose not to 'need' or 'use' them
- they, too, are fragile and flawed (aren't we all, on some level?)

What would be the harm in observing?  In LEARNING from this person?  How about appreciating THEIR beauty?

I love the foundation of my faith.  
I try and read my bible everyday.  It gives me great direction on HOW to love others.  I'd like to think it shapes how I interact on a daily basis, with a filter of love.  And guess what?  It's not my ONLY source on HOW to love.  I get all sorts of input, influence and help.  To include, but not short of, The Minimalist.

So...back to my 'journey'...

I watch.
I find out about their podcasts.
I begin listening...avidly.
I decide to give a little (because ads suck*).
Incredibly impacted.

Josh and Ryan field 100's of questions, often the same questions asked a different way.  

Grace. 

100's of followers / fans that come to the table seeking their 'permission' to keep a collection (uh-hem) on some level or another.  

Grace.

If there is A-1 thing I walk away with from Josh and Ryan, it is to appreciate where each and every person is at in their life - be it stage or season.

I have not mastered this.  I still get fussy with stupid people.
(no, really....true story).  


I CAN however circle back around.

Joy...I like it now.  I like how it sounds.  I even like how it feels.  I can have joy, even when I bump up against someone that is difficult to 'observe.'

I assure you, I'm constantly learning.  
Thank you for learning with me.

The Texas Ginger
Bringing World Peace One Hug at a Time
*The Minimalist use PATREON as a way to raise money for their meaningful work and efforts to promote impacting lives, ad free.  SOMEDAY, when I am a grown-up writer, maybe I'll use PATREON too!!!  LOL  


2 comments:

  1. Pier 1 used to be my undoing - I could not walk in there without something coming out in a bag! Then I just stopped going in. BUT THEN....I went in and took pictures of what I liked, and decided to give it 2 weeks, and pray about it. Inevitably the lust wore off and I would decide it just was not that important to spend my precious pennies on! God is so good with helping us shop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE this...taking a picture. GREAT idea...way to be thoughtful and intentional!! Ryan and Josh would approve :-)

      Delete