Saturday, October 16, 2010

BEING in the Moment - A Lost Art

I have an electronic dictionary. 

I have a 'dated' cellphone.  In other words, it's not a 'smart' phone.  I just haven't wrapped my head around paying anymore than I already do on my cellphone bill.  It's a racket and I'll leave it at that.

There is nothing really earth shattering, deep or really even remotely interesting about those two bits of information.  Stay with me here...

The problem is that the only time I use my thumbs to 'type' is when I'm on my phone.  This morning, as I'm doing my quiet time, I was looking up the definitions of some words.  I looked down the first time and I had typed three L's.  Hmmm...that's weird.  Did it again.  THIRD TIME it occurs to me - OMWord - I have hit the 'L' three times BECAUSE I have to hit it 3x's to use the 'L' on in a text.  HELLO!

WHAT are we coming to in our realm of relationships?  Tell me the last time you sat through a meal, drove your car, or while watching TV that you didn't have that phone at the ready? 

Look, I'm just as guilty.  But what happened to being in the moment?  Focused on the task at hand?  Understand - I only offer these as thoughts.  I'm the LAST to stand in judgement.  This is just as much for my own contemplation as it is for yours.

May I encourage you this week to take even just ONE DAY and not be a slave to technology?  I'm not suggesting completely unplugging, but when it rings / beeps - there is no need to rush to it's demanding little noises. 

Put the phone DOWN.

LOOK into someone's eyes while they tell you something, regardless of how insignificant YOU may think it is. 

ACTIVELY listen. 

BE in the moment. 

And just WATCH what God reveals to you.  I would love to hear your story.

I think the only one allowed that multitask is God (and mom's).  Tee-hee.

Fabulous and Forgiven

MAMA FOX

No comments:

Post a Comment