Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Moment-ing

Genuine, life experiences. 
Offering inspiration and hope to those bumbling through this life. 
I'm doing the best I can, I'm a work in progress and I've a purpose. 
So. Do. You.


I went to dinner with a friend. I had arrived early and got to stand in line for a few minutes.

There sat a family, a baby in a high chair; toddler next to mom in the booth.

There was a couple (for this post sake) probably married.

Next booth over was two girls - sisters, perhaps?  or friends?

Rather than get sucked into the blue pull that IS 
(aka: phone / fb / texting), I just looked.  

Observed.

And here were my thoughts...

Those children.
The day they were born.

The first time that mommy held that boy.  Nervous?  Excited?  Ready?

The first time that dad held his son.  Pride?  Terror?  
Are we cut out to be parents...???


The couple.
Their wedding day.

How beautiful she must have been.  Nervous?  Excited?  Ready?
(who's EVER ready to be married?!)

How young and handsome he must've been. Pride?  Eager?  Scared?

Those girls.
Fighting over a hairbrush. 

Giggling in a force to be reckoned with against parents. 

Or the first time they met and just talked...for hours.

And here we all were in that restaurant. 

In candid, raw, organic moments.

One person licking their finger. 

The baby, carelessly tossing chips on the floor.
No fanfare; nothing 'special'.
Just...being. Being with each other.  Probably nary a thought about those special days. 

Each relationship, being in a level of comfort and familiarity. 

I can remember when I went for an appointment for my first pregnancy 
(so...15 years ago).  There was another couple leaving the hospital with THEIR newborn. Car seat, diaper bag, teeny-tiny baby.  It was just the two of them, fumbling with their 'new normal.'  

I was a little deflated.
All this build up.  The fanfare, showers, the attention all pregnant mommies get (especially first timers!).
And as I watch this couple it began to set in.

"That's it...that's what it comes to.  Just...living.  Setting the table, eat, sleep, wash-rinse-repeat."  Sigh....

Not gonna lie.  It was an eye opener.

Then I took home that first little ginger that now stands a few inches taller than me.  Then I took home the dark haired one.  And several years later took home the littlest ginger.

And the moments...I wish I could remember them all.  I wish I could recollect a few of the 'insignificant' moments.  But, alas, they fade.  

Of course there are the 'big ones' - the first steps, first smiles, first lost tooth.  

Then they get to be 'bigger ones' - first crush, first heartbreak, first kiss.

And now the moments are fleeing at lightening speed.  I launch the tallest in TWO YEARS.  The middle-est may not live that long...LOL.  And this 'baby' I took home four years ago...sigh.

So...the next time you're in a line or have those few moments to pause, take it all in.  You're participating in an organic place of just...moment-ing (it's a word! I'm claimin' it!!)

Here's to moment-ing!!


The Texas Ginger

Bringing World Peace, One Hug at a Time

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking us to those times. Great descriptions! Must catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete