Monday, August 15, 2011

Lifeboat on a Lake

Many of us are familiar with the passage in Matthew where Jesus calms the storm.  For those of you that are not, the disciples follow Jesus onto a boat, storm comes, disciples freak out, Jesus calms storm, the end.  No worse for the wear, these twelve, albeit a little wet.

Well, I had the pleasure of reading this passage the other day.  I have a little devotional book that I use occasionally and it led me to this particular passage.  As is the case with passages that I've read over and over, for some reason it all came to light this particular day.  The clogs shifted in my brain and WOW!!!  The symbolism knocked me right over.  May I share?

Matthew 8:23-27
THEN HE GOT INTO THE BOAT
AND HIS DISCIPLES FOLLOWED HIM IN
The boat represents life / living.  I am to follow Jesus, trusting him completely.

WITHOUT WARNING, A FURIOUS STORM CAME UP ON THE LAKE, SO THAT THE WAVES SWEPT OVER THE BOAT.
As is the case with any 'storm' in our life, upheaval, crisis, tragedy and sometimes just a plain ol' rotten day comes out of nowhere.  And note - this isn't the ocean (as I've often envisioned), it's a lake.  You can see the other side (usually, The Great Lakes aside).

BUT JESUS WAS SLEEPING.
Can you blame him?  (I'm KIDDING!!!)  Seriously, he was calm in the storm.  He not only did not jump ship, he stayed in a steady and peaceful state.

THE DISCIPLES WENT AND WOKE HIM, SAYING,
"LORD, SAVE US!  WE'RE GOING TO DROWN!"
In the storm, Jesus is literally with them.  The disciples mirror our human nature so beautifully.  Full on panic, short sighted with doom and gloom as our conclusion.  Understand, I'm not at all coming down on the disciples - I mean, I've had a few of my own "I'm GOING TO DROWN!!!!" moments.  But I certainly didn't wake him up...ok, yes, I probably did - HA!

HE REPLIED,
"YOU OF LITTLE FAITH.  WHY ARE YOU SO AFRAID?"  
THEN HE GOT UP AND REBUKED THE WIND AND THE WAVES AND IT WAS COMPLETELY CALM.
Ouch.  Yes.  Why am I so afraid sometimes?  He doesn't move until after he rebukes the 12.  'THEN' he got up...it's not like he shot up out of his boat cot, "WHAT?!  A storm?!  Why I oughta..."  And marched out there to punch it in the nose.  He remained calm throughout.

THE MEN WERE AMAZED AND ASKED,
"WHAT KIND OF MAN IS THIS?  EVEN THE WIND
AND THE WAVES OBEY HIM."
(sigh) I love the visual of this passage.  Floatin' along in the boat of life with my Jesus.  BOOM!!!  <thunder lightening effects> Storm hits!!  And He is still there, my anchor, my steady and my calm.  SNAP!!  Storm ceases.  I can see the other side. 

Great stuff people, great stuff!!

Thanks for sharing in an A-HA moment with me. 

Eyes On Him
Mama Fox

(oh...and I talked to the author, he said it was ok to share)

No comments:

Post a Comment