Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bubbles

I was ‘that’ person today at my local grocery store.  Went through the express line with my ten items, but I was lured into the impulse buy at the checkout (so, it’s sort of their fault, right?) and added another four items.  I watched the cashier scanning my items and only then realized that I had gone over the express lane maximum.  I gasped!  I joked about what I had done, looked at the folks behind me and said, “OMWord – I am THAT person!  It’s ok – you can give me ‘the look’ because I’d be giving ‘the look’!” We all laughed, the clerk was sweet, said it was fine. 

But then I just wanted to cry.

As I looked into the faces of those complete strangers, it occurred to me that they had no idea that I was mourning my Jordan, having lost her two years ago. 

And I had no clue what any of them were facing in their own lives.

Bubbles.  We’re all in one.  Going about our daily lives, floating around in our own space, our own thoughts and occasionally we bump into another bubble.  Sometimes our bubble pops because of another person that is having their own bad day (HA! - forgive the pun). 

Back to my day – I’m usually pretty in tune with my own bubble and fellow bubbles around me, taking into consideration that a cashier or waitress may be having their own ‘stuff’ going on.  But today (sigh) I was having a tiny pity-party, very self absorbed on my sadness.

Interestingly enough, it brought me back around.  I reminded myself that I am not the only one that has lost a child.  I began to wonder about those other ‘bubbles’ and feel compassion towards them too. 

So why do I share this with you, my fellow bubbles?  To bring a heightened awareness to those around you, to be sensitive and consider the ‘stuff’ that someone else is going through.  I’ve been known to shift my paradigm towards someone after I learn something tragic has happened in their life.  But why do I (you) need to wait?  EVERYONE has something – tragic or not – going on in their life. 

Ever blow a bubble and two develop?  They’re side by side, floating in harmony, not popping but completely in sync?  Why not be that bubble?

And in case you’re wondering – I did cry today.  Several times. 

When asked, ‘How are you?” 

In a word, “Sad.” 

Yet in that sadness, I am loved on by so many of you and blessed beyond words.  

I continue to be...humbled, buoyed and blessed

Eyes On Him

Mama Fox

I do want to extend a special thank you to my Sweet T and my Beth-friend in Colorado for just...listening today.  Thank you thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment