Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Get To

Several years ago I started asking people, "What do you get to do 40 hours a week?" And they would give me a funny look. It would take them that split second to process the question, "OH!  You mean, where do I work / what do I do for a living?" 

Well, ok, where do you work?

Then, when I started asking women, "Do you get to work outside of the home or do you get to stay home?" Again...perplexed.

What is this 'GET TO' nonesense that you speak of?

Now, I'm not a complete la-lee-la head. I realize that there are those of us out there that 'have to' work in order make ends meet.  (Truth be told, probably most of us).  Many of us don't live, like in the Secret Life of Walter Mitty (a FANTASTIC movie, if you've not yet seen it - go. Now. Go watch it. It is WONDERFUL!!  And be sure to look for all of the hidden messages!)

But, I digress. 

As I was saying, most of us cannot just up and live out our life dreams (for example, I'm to old to audition for So You Think You Can Dance and taking off to New York in order to live out a dance career on Broadway seems a little, uhm, radical. Pursuing culinary school sounds pretty dreamy (and expensive), however, as you might recall two posts ago, I got knocked up in 2012...just. sayin'.). Those of you out there that 'get to' live your life in a complete-and-total-choosing kind of way, hats off to you! However, those of us that are working the 9 - 5 grind, may I encourage you to take a different approach to your mindset? If not the 9 - 5 grind, perhaps you're the mom-at-home wondering how on God's green earth changing another diaper is going to change the world for the greater good!? I understand all to well. But, do you realize that YOU are the one that 'gets to' change that diaper? YOU are the one that 'gets towork that 9 - 5? 

No one else. 

YOU.

And then there are the daily encounters we have, encounters that we 'get to' be a part of.

Recently, I was on the interstate, griping about the incredibly bumpy road. "UGH! I can't wait until they get this road paved!!" Immediately my thoughts were taken to dusty, dirt, pot-holed roads around the world. Ah...I 'get to'  drive on this bumpy road.

Not again. Food order / coffee order wrong?! Wait...I 'get to' eat / drink this food / coffee. People, merely blocks away, do not have the luxury of a meal, let alone your pricey coffee. Reel it in Fox.

5:30a...ugh...I'm so tired!! I just want to sleep...wait...I 'get to' get up at this hour, in my home, with a/c. Somewhere, there are people without homes, be it loss to fire, storm, flood, or some other disaster. I am prett-ee fortunate.

I've nothing to wear!!! Everything is so out of date!!! (sigh) Wait...I 'get to' have an abundance of choices. It's not that I don't have anything to wear, it is that I'm overwhelmed with a ridiculous amount of choices. (now, out of date...that may very well be true, but the 80's ARE making a come back. I'm sure of it!! HAHAHA!!)

Trust me, I've not mastered this skill set. I complain and gripe on a fairly regular basis (I'm pretty sure it's one of my spiritual gifts - ha!).  Yet, if I can, just once or twice, during a day turn my tune from 'I have to..." to "I get to...", I will feel a smidge successful in transforming my mindset.

And on that note, what do YOU 'get to
do / go / eat / wear today?

I would love it if you posted on my Facebook the answer to that question. Let's start a movement!!  HEY!!!  We 'get to' start a movement!!  HAHA!!

Humbled, buyoued and blessed
MamaFox

1 comment:

  1. Spot on! Today I got to drive an air conditioned 7 year old car up 360 which is often not crowded...then I got to work 8 hours at a job I love...then I got to come home to make dinner for hungry Dennis. I don't have the gift of complaining...my gifts are spelling and sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete